For most of us, window replacement is a new experience, so wondering how many days we need to arrange for their installation is a good question. Let’s look at some timelines, from ordering your windows to the installation period.
1) The consideration of new windows and doors
Weighing the pros and cons of window and door replacement may take longer than you think, especially if you’re considering other renovations; should you replace all of the windows or just a few?
You might find some of our articles helpful in making that determination:
2) How long does it take to order windows and doors?
- Our team will help you determine the style of window that best suits the needs of the particular opening. You should consider whether the window needs to open or whether a fixed window (non-opening) may make more financial sense. For example, a bathroom window in a shower area may be better as a fixed window to keep out moisture.
- Do you like the look of grilles on windows? Your options for grilles (they sit between or on the glass) include various widths and colours. These decisions will need to be ready before we can place your order.
- Our team will measure precisely the size of window you need. Easy inside access to your windows will make the measuring process more efficient.
- We place your window and door order after you accept the contract. It is hard to say how long the process takes as choice and order changes often happen. Realistically, count on at least three or four weeks before you’re likely ready with a final order.
3) Are there other considerations when changing your doors or windows?
- Whether to change your interior trim is a necessary discussion to have before you decide on replacing windows. It can add a bit of time to your window and door replacement process. Most window companies offer a standard casing style that their window installers/contractors change at the time of your window replacement. The installers will remove your existing casing and install new primed casings. (The homeowner is responsible for the finished coat of paint on the trim.) Read our article, Can I Change My Trim When I change My Windows?
- Opting for the more complete window replacement method for better insulation and larger glass size is a full-frame-out installation. You’ll need to change the interior window trim, so you may want to change your baseboard style later to match the casing trim style of the windows and doors. Read our article, Are There Different Kinds of Window Installations in Canada- Is One Better than the Other?
4) The window installations go surprisingly quickly.
Our installation teams have experienced most scenarios, so they are ready for any concerns. As long as things go smoothly, four to seven windows should be replaced on the first day, with trim installation taking an additional one and a half to two hours per window.
5) How can you help the process?
- Help us help you by allowing easy access to your windows inside and out by leaving your doors open or unlocked, moving sofas, beds or furniture, trimming bushes or tying them firmly to the side of any opening, and removing anything stacked outside beneath the window openings.
- Remove window coverings. You must remove your window coverings to keep them from accidental damage.
- Protect your floors, keep the pets in a closed room, and protect exterior plants with blankets so we can visually see that we should stay away from them.
- Second-floor window replacement always takes more time. If access is dangerous, the installation must stop while the homeowner arranges to make it safe for the crew.
Forest City Window & Door Ltd has been a trusted long-time window and door contractor in London, Ontario, since 1993. Please call (519) 659 6906, or contact us online with questions about windows, doors, and siding products.